Category displayed to first-time visitors
By default the customers who open your store for the first time see the Store Front page. There they see the categories of the first level and your featured products – the ones that are added to the Store Front Category.
You may want to change this behaviour and display some other category to customers who open your storefront for the first time. This is useful if you want to show a specific set of items (for instance, New Arrivals) to new visitors right away. You can also use this approach to add different categories to different sites if you need several stores that share the same settings like payment, shipping, discounts, etc.
You can add your Ecwid store to sites built on different platforms and sitebuilders. The ways to show a certain category for first time visitors can be different. Here is how to do it.
In case you use integration code to add your Ecwid store to your website, you can tweak the code a bit to show products of a certain category instead of the entire catalog on a site page. For this, you need to include a special defaultCategoryId parameter and specify the ID of that category in the integration code.
Here is Ecwid integration code where this extra parameter is added — the STOREID and CATEGORYID in the code should be replaced with your store ID and ID of the necessary category:
To add a certain category to a site page, follow these steps:
- Copy the above example code.
- Replace STOREID in the code with your store ID. You can copy it from the bottom of your Ecwid Dashboard.
- Replace CATEGORYID in the code with the ID of the category that you want to add to a site page. Here is how you can get ID of a product or a category page in your store.
- Add the resulting code to the source code of your site page, save the changes and check the result.
That's it. Now the category specified in the integration code appears in your site page. Repeat the above steps for other categories to add them to different site pages.
- In the WordPress admin panel, navigate to Pages.
- Find the page where you have your Ecwid store and open it (by default this page is called Store).
- Click on the block with the store. You will see a side menu on the right. Go to the Block tab.
- In the Store Front Page dropdown select Category page and choose the category that you want to display on this page:
- Click Update to save the changes.
- In the Wix website editor open the page where your Ecwid online store is added.
- Click on the store area.
- Click Settings:
- Switch to Setting.
- Click the Choose the default category dropdown under Display Options:
- Choose the category you want to show
- Click Save.
- In Joomla Control Panel navigate to Components → Ecwid → Advanced settings:
- In the Category shown by default drop-down select the category that you want to display:
- Click Save.
- Navigate to Menus.
- Open the page where Ecwid is installed in edit mode.
- Switch to the Basic Ecwid settings tab.
- Enter your store ID in the Store ID field.
- From the Category shown by default drop-down choose the category to open on this page:
- Click Save.
- Repeat the steps for each page where Ecwid is installed.