We have collected the most frequent questions about using PayPal as a payment method in online stores.
In this article:
- Can my customers pay by credit card without creating or using a PayPal account?
- Can I accept payments in my store via PayPal if I have a PayPal Personal account?
- A customer has paid via PayPal, but the order shows as "Awaiting Payment" in Ecwid control panel. Why?
- How to place a test order using PayPal?
All PayPal services allow paying by credit card without registering a PayPal account. Some times your customers are still prompted to sign up at PayPal to pay. This may depend on the country where you or your customer is located. PayPal has different rules for different countries, see the details in a PayPal community post.
No, you must have a PayPal Business account.
A customer has paid via PayPal, but the order shows as "Awaiting Payment" in Ecwid control panel. Why?
When a customer has placed an order and paid for it, the order the "Paid" status. The "Awaiting Payment" status means that the order is pending, or it has been placed but the money has not been transferred to your account yet. To see the reason for it you can check what error is returned from PayPal in your Ecwid control panel → My Sales → Orders, order details page, Payment details.
There may be several reasons why some PayPal order get the Awaiting Payment status instead of Paid. See them below
PayPal informed Ecwid that the payment is pending, i.e. you actually haven't got the money yet
Here is a list of possible pending reasons:
- The payment is pending because your customer has not included a confirmed shipping address and your Payment Receiving Preferences is set to allow you to manually accept or deny each of these payments. To change your preferences, go to the Preferences section of your Profile in PayPal.
- The payment is pending because it was made by an eCheck that has not been cleared yet.
- The payment is pending because you hold a non-U.S. account and do not have a withdrawal mechanism. You should manually accept or deny this payment from Account Overview in your PayPal account.
- You do not have a balance in the currency sent, and you do not have your Payment Receiving Preferences set to automatically convert and accept such payments. You should manually accept or deny this payment.
- The payment is pending while it is being reviewed by PayPal for risk.
- The payment is pending because it has been made via credit card and you should upgrade your account to Business or Premier status in order to receive the funds. Upgrade can also mean that you have reached the monthly limit for transactions on your account.
- The payment is pending because you have not been verified yet. You should verify your account first, and after that you will be able to accept this payment.
The most frequent reason of all above is that a payment has been made by an eCheck that has not been cleared yet. After an eCheck is cleared (usually it takes 3-5 days), the order status will be changed to "Paid" automatically.
Error "This order is in the "Awaiting Payment" status, because the order total and the amount actually paid do not match. Please check this order in your PayPal Admin Area for possible issues."
In this case, usually the orders are processed successfully and the money is paid. You will see this error message in the order details, in your Ecwid Control Panel → My Sales → Orders. There are three possible reasons:
- The order total formed in Ecwid doesn't match the order total returned by PayPal. Probably, you have taxes or shipping rates enabled in your PayPal merchant account. These rates are appended to the order total when customer is redirected to PayPal. You need to check your PayPal manager account for tax and shipping settings, and disable them.
- The currency set in your Ecwid store differs from the one set in your PayPal account. You need to make sure you setup the same currency on both sides.
- The payments are transferred to the PayPal email that is different from the one you specified in your Ecwid Control Panel → Payment → PayPal.
Error "The payment is pending because it was made to an email address that is not yet registered or confirmed"
You receive an email notification from Ecwid about a new order, check your PayPal account and don't find the order there. You go to your Ecwid Control Panel → My Sales → Orders page, go to the order details and see that the order has the Awaiting Payment status, and the Payment Information section shows this:
This order is in the "Awaiting Payment" status, because the money has not been transferred to your PayPal account yet. Pending reason returned by PayPal:The payment is pending because it was made to an email address that is not yet registered or confirmed.
The first thing you need to do is to make sure you have the right email address in PayPal settings in your Ecwid control panel → Payment → PayPal.
If it's the right one, most likely your PayPal account wasn't confirmed or verified when this order was placed. As a result the money was taken from the payer account but hang in the pending status. A solution here is to wait while the account is verified — the money will be sent there.
If the email is submitted with an error (typo) or you put a wrong email there, the possible steps to solve the issue are as follows:
For test orders. Just update your PayPal settings in your Ecwid control panel, and make one more test order to ensure the orders arrive as Paid.
For real orders where you need to ship the items, the money will remain pending on the PayPal side for the next 45 days. If nobody claims the funds, they will be returned to the payer. What you can do in this case:
- Leave it as it is. Contact the buyer, explain the situation, and ask to place a new order. You could create an invoice in your PayPal account for the same amount and ask the customer to pay it. That may be easier for them.
- Register a PayPal account for the wrong email, and verify it. After that PayPal will transfer the money to that account, and you will be able to forward the funds to your main business account.
When you have received the money, you can change the orders status to Paid in your Ecwid Control Panel → My Sales page → Orders.
In case if you want to check your seller's PayPal account, you can do the following:
- Create another real PayPal account for testing purposes for an email that is not connected to your seller's PayPal account.
- Create a cheap test product ($1 or less) in your store.
- Make a purchase in your store selecting PayPal as the payment method and using the test PayPal account for paying.
- If needed, make a chargeback when the payment is received.