Connecting Register.com domain to Ecwid Instant Site
Once connected, your Ecwid Instant site will open at your domain name, via secure HTTPS connection. You don’t need to separately purchase an SSL certificate as Ecwid provides free SSL for Instant Site users. Visit your Register.com account to manage all the domain settings and to pay for the domain name, or renew it.
To link your domain with your Ecwid Instant Site, you should first specify your custom domain name in your Ecwid admin.
To specify a domain name:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Website (or to Overview → Manage Instant Site).
- In the Domain name and site address block, click Change Address.
- In the pop-up window that you’ll see enter your custom domain in the Use your own domain name field (you should enter your root domain, i.e. without www part):
- Copy the IP address that you see below the "Use your own domain name" field (that may be 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, or 188.8.131.52). You will need this IP later to set up the domain in the Register.com account:
5. Click Save.
To finish linking your Ecwid Instant Site with your domain, you should make changes in your domain settings and point the domain to your Ecwid site. For that, you need to add an A record and a CNAME record in your domain host account.
To point the domain to your Ecwid site:
- Log into your Register.com account.
- From the Account Dashboard section, hover on the Domains and click Manage:
- Find your domain and click Manage:
- Under Advanced technical settings, find A and click Edit IP Address Records:
- In a new A-record, put @ in the first field and paste the IP-address that you previously copied from your Ecwid admin (184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, or 18.104.22.168) to the points to field:
- Tick the Delete checkboxes next to all other A-records for '@' that you may see on this page. To make the domain work with your Instant site, there must be only one A-record for the root domain — the one pointing to Ecwid IP address:
- Click Continue.
- Click Continue again to confirm that you want to delete the selected A-records. The changes in A records will be saved and now you can add a CNAME.
- Go to your Register.com account by clicking Manage account in the upper right corner.
- Under My accounts, click on your domain name to edit it:
- Under Advanced technical settings, find CNAME and click Edit Domain Aliases Records:
- In this new record, put www in the first field and in the points to field, enter your root domain such as mygreatstore.xyz:
- Click Continue to save the changes.
That’s it! Your own domain name is set up. It may take up to 12-24 hours for changes to propagate, but usually it happens within a couple of hours. After that, your Instant Site will open at your Register.com domain name (for example, mygreatstore.xyz) and a subdomain with www (for example, www.mygreatstore.xyz). The SSL certificate will be added automatically and there will be a green secure padlock in the browser address bar showing that your store is secure.