Giropay is a popular and secure online bank transfer payment method in Germany. Since it’s wildly common among German customers, they may expect it to appear as a payment option at the checkout in your Ecwid store. So if you sell in Germany or plan to expand your business, you may want to add giropay payment method to your online shop. And compared to other payment methods, giropay has lower fees.
In Ecwid, giropay is set up through Stripe, an easy and trustworthy payment gateway that allows you to receive a variety of payment methods from all over the world including credit cards, mobile wallets, and dozens of other options your customers prefer.
To offer giropay to your customers at checkout, you need to connect Stripe account to your Ecwid store and enable giropay in your Stripe account settings. If you don’t have a Stripe account yet, please see the list of Prohibited Businesses and Stripe Services Agreement before opening a Stripe account.
Giropay works only with Euro currency. You can change your Ecwid store currency from the store admin, in Settings → General → Regional Settings → Currency.
Setting up giropay
To start accepting payments with giropay in your Ecwid store:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Payment.
- Scroll down and click Choose Payment Method → giropay with Stripe.
- Click Connect giropay. You’ll be taken to the Stripe website where you can log into your existing Stripe account or create a new one.
If you create a new account, you’ll need to fill in the information about your business and after that Stripe will connect to your Ecwid store.
If you already connected your Stripe account to your Ecwid store, you just need to log in to your Stripe account and giropay payment method will be added to your store. Make sure giropay is activated in your Stripe account.
- After connecting giropay via Stripe, you will be redirected from the Stripe website to your Ecwid store. In the Payment method name at checkout field you can enter the name under which customers see this payment method at checkout or leave it as giropay.
- Make sure that the Enable this payment method at checkout setting is turned on to display giropay at checkout.
- (optional) In the Payment instructions for customers field you can add a description of the giropay payment method for your customers, it will appear at the checkout. For example, you can add the note that giropay is available only for customers with accounts in German banks.
- (optional) Click Limit availability by shipping method to limit the giropay payment option to a specific shipping or delivery method.
Once everything is set up, you can accept payments with giropay in your online store.
Accepting giropay payments
After you set up giropay in your Ecwid store, your customers will see this payment option at your store checkout and can choose it to pay for their order using their German online banking account. As soon as customers choose giropay as a payment option, they will be redirected to the giropay website to continue paying. Customers don’t need to log in to their bank accounts, they just need to select their bank and giropay will redirect them to their online bank website to authenticate a payment. Watch this video to see the workflow for customers who pay through giropay.
You can always check what payment method has been used for an order by viewing an order’s details in your Ecwid admin → My Sales → Orders. For a giropay payment method you will see giropay in the payment details.