To make your Ecwid Instant Site look more professional, you can connect your own custom domain name. A custom domain is the address that customers enter in their browser address bar to open your online store. To use your own domain name, you will first need to buy it from a company that sells domains such as Hexonet (1API GmbH). If you already own a domain name, you can easily connect it to your Ecwid Instant site as well.
The domain should be set up on both your domain registrar account and in your Ecwid control panel. It might sound complicated, but don't worry — we will guide you through the whole process. Once everything is set up, the store will open at your domain name, via secure HTTPS connection, i.e. the link will begin with https:// and will show the secure padlock in the browser address bar.
You should pay for the domain name separately at https://hexonet.net/
To specify your custom domain name in your Ecwid account:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Website.
- Find the “Instant Site address” section and click Change URL.
- In the appeared pop-up, put your custom domain name in the “Use your own domain name” field:
- Click Save.
- Place the mouse cursor in the “Use your own domain name” field and copy the IP address that will appear in the pop-up — that may be either 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, or 22.214.171.124. You will need this IP later to set up the domain in your Hexonet account:
To connect your domain name to your Ecwid Instant site:
- Log in to your Hexonet control panel.
- Go to Domains → Domain names → and click on the domain name that you want to connect to your Ecwid store.
- Go to DNS/Forwarding:
- Click Create DNS Zone if you don’t have a zone yet.
- Select Basic or Premium DNS. You can begin with the Basic DNS, so click Create Basic DNS.
- Click Create.
- Click View DNS Zone.
- In the right upper corner click Add record → A record and fill in the details:
- Name: Type @.
- IP Address (IPv4): Paste the IP address that you copied from your Ecwid admin.
- Click Confirm.
- In the right upper corner click Add record → CNAME record and fill in the details:
- Name: Type here www.
- Hostname: Type your domain address, for instance, mygreatstore.co.
- Click Confirm.
As a result, you should have an A record pointing to your Ecwid IP-address and a CNAME, like this:
That’s it! You’ve set up a domain. Now give the changes some time to propagate. On average, it takes a couple of hours, but in some cases may be up to 48 hours. After that, your Ecwid store will open at your custom domain name with and without www (for example, mygreatstore.co and www.mygreatstore.co), via secure HTTPS connection.