Getting started with importing products
To get a better idea of catalog import, you can give it a try. This way, you will see how CSV files turn into new products in your online store and how existing products get updated.
Let’s start off with importing a ready-made file with two sample products.
- Download the Sample CSV file that we've prepared for you.
- Now upload this file to your store: Go to Catalog → Data Import & Export in the store admin, click Upload Catalog File, and select the CSV file you’ve just saved.
- On the opened page, click Start Import and wait until importing is complete. You'll see a green notice in the top right corner of the admin.
- Go to Catalog → Products and find the products from the file there.
Here’s how the “Gray Boardshorts” product will look in your store admin:
Congrats! You’ve added two test products to your store via import. Don’t worry, customers won’t see them. Our test file is built to create products in a disabled state.
Now let’s update the products you’ve just created. Say change the price for “Gray Boardshorts” to “$21.90” and the weight of “Multicolor Boardshorts” to “1”. For that, we’ll adjust their CSV file and import it again.
- Open the CSV file you've downloaded in Step 1 in any spreadsheet editor. For example, that’s how you do it in Google Sheets:
- Find the “product_price” column and enter “21.90” in the “Gray Boardshorts” row:
- Find the “product_weight” column and enter “1” for the “Multicolor Boardshorts” product.
- Save the file as CSV to your device. In Google Sheets, you it by clicking File → Download → Comma Separated Values (.csv).
- Go to Catalog → Data Import & Export in your store admin and upload the file you’ve just saved.
That’s it! The products are now updated.
You can go and check on the changes in the Catalog → Products page.
If a product already exists in your store, you can export a CSV with its data, edit the file and then import back to update the product. This way, you can save yourself time on creating CSVs.
- Go to Catalog → Products, tick a product (or products) you want to update, and click Import or Export Products → Export Selected.
- A CSV file will be downloaded to your device. Open it in your spreadsheet editor.
- Enter new values into the corresponding columns.
- You can delete the columns you don’t update, but make sure you leave “product_sku” and “product_internal_id”. They let the import tool know which product the data is for.
- Save the file as CSV to your device.
- Go to Catalog → Data Import & Export in your store admin and upload the file.
That’s it! You’ve updated your product(s).
Go check it out in the Catalog → Products page.
Now you have a better idea of how importing works and can start building your own CSV files.
- Check out the CSV structure used in your store
- Create or edit a file according to it
- Save the result as CSV
You can use one of our Sample files as a basis.