Facebook pixel lets you track your store visitors, giving you a lot of data about your customer's behavior. You can use that data to more effectively plan your ad campaigns to get even more customers. Installation takes a couple of minutes, with no technical skills whatsoever.
In this article:
The Facebook pixel is an analytics tool that helps you understand actions customers take on your website/store. The pixel will “know” when your store visitors:
- view products and categories
- search products
- add items to the shopping cart
- enter the checkout flow
- start the checkout
- complete the checkout, etc.
Later this data allows you to:
- Retarget your visitors with ads on Facebook, Instagram, and Audience Network. For example, you can find people who have visited a specific page or taken the desired action in your store and then offer these customers a 15% off coupon through a targeted Facebook ad to spur conversions. Also, the pixel can help you advertise to people similar to your existing customers.
- Measure conversions and sales so that you know exactly how your ads are performing.
- Set up Dynamic Ads to automatically promote multiple products or your entire product catalog on Facebook, across all devices.
The installation is easy for everyone regardless of technical skills. You just need to generate your Pixel ID in the Ads Manager (Ads Manager is where you can view, make changes and see results for all your Facebook campaigns, ad sets, and ads) and add it to your Ecwid Control Panel.
If you've already created a pixel, skip ahead to Installing the Facebook pixel into Ecwid.
- Open your Facebook Ads Manager.
- Click on the Ads Manager Menu in the top left corner and hover over All tools to expand it fully.
- Click on Pixels:
- Click on the green Create a Pixel button:
- Name your pixel and click Create:
Once you have named and created your pixel, you will be given the options for installing it:
- Select Use an Integration or Tag Manager:
- Select Ecwid from the list of official Facebook integrated partners:
- Follow further instructions.
- Check if your pixel is working. Navigate to your store to get the pixel triggered. Then go back to your Ads Manager → Pixels and check your pixel’s status. The green light means your pixel has been installed correctly and you are done! It might take up to twenty minutes to activate your pixel.
After you’ve added a Facebook pixel in Ecwid, the pixel start counting actions that happen on your online store as events. You can use event data to create personalized ads for your customers.
The following events will be sent from Ecwid to Facebook:
- ViewContent: for each time a customer visits your product or category pages.
- Search: for each time a customer uses the search box to find products.
- AddToCart: for each time a customer adds products to the shopping cart without finishing the purchase or clicks "Buy now" button on single product page.
- InitiateCheckout: for each time a customer visits the checkout page.
- AddPaymentInfo: for each time a customer enters payment information in the checkout.
- Purchase: for each time a customer completes a purchase and views the thank you page in the checkout.
Learn more about using Facebook pixel standard events to create campaigns and track conversions at the Facebook Help Center.
If you've used a Facebook pixel with your website in the past before embed Ecwid into it, you might need to remove its code before adding a new pixel. Adding a second Facebook pixel to your online store and the website could cause duplicate or incorrect data in your reports.
As a website owner, deleting a pixel from your site is as easy as removing the code from your site by deleting the code implemented in your header. If you used the injection method to place the code in your site through services like Wix, Squarespace, and other platforms, it’s also possible to delete the code using that tool. Facebook’s guide specifically uses Squarespace as a reference guide for deleting the pixel from your injected code, but it should also be similar for most online site platforms.
You can remove the existing pixel code from your Ecwid store:
- Go to your Ecwid Control Panel → Settings → General → Tracking & Analytics.
- Remove your Facebook pixel ID from the Pixel ID field.
- Save changes.
Note: If you've used a Facebook pixel with Ecwid in the past, you might need to remove its code before adding a new pixel, otherwise it may result in duplicated or partial data. Go to your Ecwid Control Panel → Settings → General → Cart & Checkout and remove the Facebook pixel codes, if you have any, from the section Tracking code on “Thank you for your order”:
As an e-commerce store owner, you’ll mostly use Facebook Pixel for retargeting (to advertise to people who have visited a specific page or taken the desired action in your store) and conversion tracking (to measure conversions and sales so that you know exactly how your ads are performing and let Facebook optimize your ads for you).
As an Ecwid merchant with connected Facebook Shop, you have several options:
- Try ROI Hunter app to run your Facebook ad campaigns for you.
- Set up Facebook ads yourself using Product Catalog feature.
Selling on Facebook with Ecwid
Promoting your Facebook shop
Selling on Instagram with Ecwid
Facebook Pixel Strategies to Help You Run More Targeted Ads (Blog)
А Beginner’s Guide to Using Facebook Pixel for E-commerce (Guide)
Blow Up Your Sales With Ecwid’s New Social Selling Tools on Facebook (Blog)