Google Ads conversion tracking
When you run Google Ads, you want to measure how well your ads are doing to understand whether you are moving in the right direction or you need to adjust your shopping campaigns to get more customers and sales.
To track the Google Ads conversions, you can use the Google Ads Tags. These are two pieces of codes that you need to add to your Ecwid admin. They will track the behavior of users who come to your store from your Google Ads. Thus, you will see how many of them end up placing an order in your store.
To measure the ads conversion, you should first create a conversion in your Google Ads account. Once it’s set up, you will get the Google Ads Tags that should be added to your Ecwid settings for tracking.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account or create it if you don’t have one.
- In the top right corner, click Tools&Settings → Measurement → Conversions.
- On the left side, click on the plus icon to add a new conversion.
- Select Website.
- Set up a conversion action for your website:
- Category: select Purchase. You can track only purchase actions in your Ecwid store.
- Conversion name: that’s the name of the ad as you will see it in your Google Ads account.
- Value: select Use different values for each conversion.
- Count: select Every.
- You can keep the default settings for other settings on the page or modify them if you wish.
- Click Create and Continue. You will get to the tag setup page.
- Select Install the tag yourself:
You will get to the page where you will see a global site tag and event snippet. These are the two codes that you will need to paste to your Ecwid admin. These codes work only when they are both added to a website. Copy these codes to a text document on your computer or keep the page open and follow the steps below:
- Copy the codes that you see in the “Global site tag” and “Event snippet” sections in your Google Ads account.
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Settings → General → Tracking & Analytics → Google Ads Tags and paste the codes to the corresponding fields.
- Save the changes.
You can check whether the tag works correctly in your store using the Google Tag Assistant, a free Chrome extension. After installing it in your browser, navigate through your store to see if the tag is on these pages. Note that adblockers, if you use any, may prevent tags from working correctly.