AmEx (American Express Payment Gateway)
American Express, also known as Amex, is a global services company that offers a payment gateway (American Express Payment Gateway) as well as world-class Credit Cards. A great thing about this gateway is that being integrated with Ecwid, Amex payment gateway allows accepting credit cards right on your site, i.e. customers will not be redirected to American Express at checkout.
In order to accept credit card payments from your customers, you need an Amex merchant account. You can find more details on creation of a merchant account and apply for one on AmEx website.
Before implementing Amex into your store, you first have to set up your Amex-account and an appropriate Payment Gateway Option:
- To set up the Payment Gateway call 1800-528-0682;
- Log in to your Amex-account;
- Open the Admin → Operators tab and create a new Operator:
- Find the Operator's API password in the Operator's control panel. For that, login to that Operator (log out and log in using the created operator's ID) and find an API password. It's on the Admin tab under Integration Settings:
If there is not a generated password, click the 'Edit' button and generate your own password (please ignore the Password 2 field):
- Copy the API password and save it somewhere
- Go to Ecwid Control Panel → Payment.
- Scroll to Other ways to get paid.
- Click Choose payment processor.
- Select American Express Payment Gateway.
- You will see a page where you need to enter your American Express account details:
- Merchant ID (refers to the American Express Merchant ID that you get after creating an Amex account)
- API password (you got it on the step #2 of this instruction)
- Transaction type (select 'Authorize and capture')
- Save the changes.
To access your Test Profile, simply use the Merchant ID associated with your Test Profile. All Test Profiles will begin with TEST, followed by your American Express Payment Gateway Merchant ID, for example if your Payment Gateway Merchant ID is 1234567890, your Test Profile will use TEST1234567890
You will find more information for testing in the Amex Testing Guide.