The Ecwid E-commerce Shopping Cart plugin helps you easily add an online store to your WordPress website. The plugin is available for both WordPress.org and WordPress.com.
In this article:
- Adding Ecwid to WordPress.org and WordPress.com
- Showing products on separate pages
- Featuring one product on a page
- Featuring store products in the website sidebar
- Showing store products in website search results
- Showing store categories in the website menu
- Offering one login to site and store for customers
- Including products into website sitemap
- Adding several stores to WordPress website
- Connecting to another Ecwid account
- Restricting access to Ecwid backend to certain users
You can add Ecwid to both WordPress.org or WordPress.com using Ecwid blocks. Ecwid blocks give you the flexibility to add your entire store, single product widgets, or “Buy now” buttons to different pages of your website.
Check out our video guide on how to add the Ecwid plugin to WordPress:
To install the Ecwid plugin to WordPress, follow this instruction:
- Open your WordPress admin panel and:
- 1. (for WordPress.org), go to Plugins → Add New.
- 2. (for WordPress.com), go to My site → Tools → Plugins.
- Type "ecwid" in the search field. Click Install now next to the Ecwid E-commerce Shopping Cart plugin:
The installation may take several seconds.
- Click Activate. This will direct you to a screen where you log into your Ecwid store.
- Click Connect if you already have an Ecwid store and log into your account.
If you do not have an account, click the link below that reads “Don't have an Ecwid account? Create one now” and complete the registration.
- Once connected, click Accept to give permissions to the Ecwid plugin.
After you complete these steps, the store will be added to a newly created “Store” page. You can keep the store on this page or add it to other pages of your WordPress website:
- Open the WordPress page where you want to add the store.
- Click Add block.
- Type “Ecwid” in the search box.
- Select Store Home Page.
- Click Update.
The storefront automatically inherits fonts and colors of your WordPress website for a seamless blend. You may also customize the store design using block settings, themes or CSS codes.
To add products, track orders and manage store settings, go to the Ecwid control panel. This is accessible from the WordPress admin panel. In WordPress.com, go to My site → Tools → Plugins → click on the Ecwid icon. In WordPress.org, just click on Ecwid in the menu on the left.
You can add products from different categories to different pages of your website. Let’s say you have some products on sale or you sell clothes for men and women and you want to display all these products on separate website pages.
When you add a store category to a separate website page, the link to this page appears on the website menu. This provides more chances to attract customers’ attention the designated category is visible from any website page.
To add a category of products to a separate page on the WordPress website:
- Go to the WordPress Admin Panel → Pages and open the page where you want to add the store category. In WordPress.com, go to Site → Pages.
- Click Add Block, search for “ecwid” and select Store Category Page block.
- In the Block menu on the right, select the category you wish to display.
- Save the changes.
You can add one product from your Ecwid store to any website page. For example, you could highlight a specific product in a post and allow customers to purchase it without leaving the page. Fewer clicks, more sales.
There are three ways to feature a product on your WordPress website page:
- Large product card
- Small product card
- “Buy Now” button
To add one product to a page on the WordPress website:
- Go to your WordPress Admin Panel → Pages and open the page where you want to add a product. You can add it to a new or existing page.
- Click Add Block.
- Depending on how you want to represent a product, click on the appropriate block: Product Card Large, Product card small or Buy Now Button.
- To modify the appearance of the product card, click on the block with the product and change the block settings on the right.
You can promote products from your Ecwid store on your WordPress website by showing them in the sidebar. Usually, it displays on pages where you have blog posts:
This way, customers will see products as they read you posts without opening the store page.
To add products to the website sidebar, use the Ecwid store widgets:
- Go to the WordPress admin panel → Appearance → Widgets.
- Click on the Ecwid store widgets that you want to use to show products:
- Recently viewed products,
- Latest added products,
- Random product.
- Select where to display the widget.
- Click Add Widget.
In addition to products, you can also add other Ecwid store widgets on this page:
- Shopping cart
- Product search
- Store root categories
- Store page link
After you add any of these tools, check to make sure they fit with your site’s design.
With the Ecwid plugin, you can make products display in website search results. That means that if a customer searches for something in the search box on your website, they will see not just website pages, but also your store products in search results.
To display products in website search results:
- Go to the WordPress Admin Panel → Ecwid → Advanced.
- Tick Integration with search on your site.
- Click Synchronize products. Give a few minutes for products to sync.
- Click Save changes.
Following these steps will allow you to consolidate two search boxes (one for website pages and the other for Ecwid products) to one website search box. One search field helps limit your customer’s confusion when searching your site. And that’s a good thing.
If products in your store are divided into categories, you can show store categories in the drop-down of the website menu. This will improve your website navigation and will help customers find products faster.
As you add new root categories to the store, Ecwid automatically adds them to this menu.
Here is how to add the Ecwid store categories to your WordPress website menu:
- Go to the WordPress admin panel → Appearance → Menus.
- Open the Store tab.
- Tick Store with Categories Menu.
- Click Add to menu.
- Click Save Menu.
Also, in Appearance → Menus, you can add other store links to your website menu:
- Cart: adds a link to the cart page
- Product Search: adds a link to a page with the search and filters
- My Account: adds a link to the customer store profile page
- Store: adds a link to the main store page
Select what links will be helpful for your customers and add them to the website menu.
Most websites offer an option for users to create accounts. You can use it for different reasons: generate a list of customers, hide specific pages from unregistered users, etc.
The Ecwid store also allows customers to create accounts and log in. In the store account, customers can see their order history and get discounts if they belong to customer groups among other options.
If you offer a login on the website and in the store, two login icons may confuse customers. It will also require dual login: the website and the store. Ecwid offers a solution. When customers log into the website, you can automatically log them into the store using the setting called Single Sign-On (SSO).
To enable the Single Sign-On option on your WordPress website:
- Go to the WordPress Admin Panel → Ecwid → Advanced.
- Tick Customer Single Sign-On option.
- Click Save changes.
A sitemap helps search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo to better index your site. It provides search bots with the complete structure of your site which allows for faster searching. When your website and store pages are indexed, they appear in search results and help potential customers find your store.
To create a sitemap for your Wordpress site and include product and category links, we suggest using one of the plugins:
Fully compatible with Ecwid, these plugins and will add links to the product and category pages of your store to the generated sitemap. This way, search engines will be able to index your website pages along with the store pages.
You can have two or more different Ecwid stores on the same WordPress website. Add one store with a plugin and add additional stores with a code. Don’t be afraid of the “code” word. It’s a ready code -- you just need to copy and paste it.
Follow these steps to add the second store with a code:
- Go to Ecwid Control Panel → All sales channels.
- Scroll down the page to see the Sell on your website section. Click on Other platforms and sitebuilders.
- Click Copy Code to Clipboard button.
- You’ve got the code. Now go to the WordPress Admin Panel → Pages and open the page where you want to display the store.
- Click Add Block → Custom HTML.
- Paste the copied code to the field.
- Save the changes.
You will see the store home page on the website. To add other stores to the website, follow the above steps for each store.
Connecting to another Ecwid account
In case you initially connected a wrong Ecwid account or just decided to put another store on the website, you can connect the plugin to another store anytime. Here is how to do it:
- Go to your WordPress Admin Panel → Ecwid → Dashboard.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click Reconnect in the bottom right corner:
- You will see the Connect button. Log into the control panel of the store that you want to show on the website.
After you complete the steps, the new store will appear on your website.
You can restrict access to your Ecwid store backend in WordPress with the help of the User Role Editor plugin. Here’s what you need to do.
- Install the plugin to your WordPress Admin area.
- Go to the Users menu.
- Find the user, you want to block from the Ecwid Control Panel.
- Click the Capabilities link:
- Use the Quick filter field and find manage_options:
- Disable it and click Update.
- This person will not be able to access your Ecwid store backend when using your WordPress Dashboard.
- Set up your store: add products, configure shipping and payment methods, taxes, etc.
- Sell on other sales channels like Facebook and Instagram.
- Download the Ecwid mobile apps for store management for Android and iOS.
- Place a test order to check how your store works.
- Promote your store and attract new customers.
Related articlesBack to top