After a customer places an order in your store, Ecwid automatically creates a customer account for customer's email address. Your customers can then log into their accounts at any time through their personal Sign-In link sent to their inbox.
Customers can also place orders as guests in your store (without logging into their account), however logging into an account allows them to check out faster, see order history and their favorite products, specify the VAT ID, get access to their special member discounts, and view invoices.
You can enable/disable the “Sign In” link in the storefront. If enabled, customers can find the Sign In option in the store footer under your catalog, so they can register or log in to their account:
To enable/disable the Sign In link in your storefront:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Design.
- Scroll down to Storefront navigation & colors.
- Under the Sign In option select Show or Do not Show.
To remove the link to the Sign In page from the Order Confirmation that your customers receive, you can edit the template of this customer notification.
If your customer wants to create an account in your store, there is typically a list of links at the bottom of every page on your storefront, including a Sign In link where your customers can register or log in to their account.
To log into a Customer account (as a customer):
- On the storefront, click Sign In.
- Enter the email address for your account, then click Get Sign-In Link.
- Open your email inbox, then click a personal sign-in link in the email. This link can be used only once and is only valid for 14 days. Once clicked, you will be taken back to the store website.
Now there is the My Account section along with the Sign Out option at the bottom of every page on the storefront:
When your customers access their My Account page, they see a dashboard of their account, with an overview of recently placed orders and their account data. From here your customers can view their shopping cart and wish list, specify the VAT ID, get access to their special member discounts, and view or download invoices.
Your customers stay signed into their accounts until they click the Sign Out link or start using another browser or device to shop in your store.
By default, you can find Sign In, My Account, and other icons at the bottom of every page on your storefront. You can move the store footer to the top of your storefront if you wish. This requires modifying your store CSS theme.
To move footer icons to the top of your storefront:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Design.
- Click Edit Theme in Themes and in-depth customization section.
- Paste this CSS code to the appeared window.
- Save the changes.
If you’ve added your Ecwid store to your own existing site, you may want to add My Account link or Sign Up/In button in your website header or navigation.
To create a custom My Account link:
- Form a URL for your store's Sign In page. It should point to:
Replace PATH-TO-STORE with the real domain of your website page where you've added your Ecwid store. Here is an example of the resulting URL: https://surfparadise.ecwid.com/account/settings.
- Add a custom link to the desired place on your website. If you are not sure how to do add a custom link onto your website, follow your sitebuilder's instructions on how and where you can add it.
Your customers can add items from your online store to their favorites, making it easy for them to keep track of all the products they desire. Customers can view their wish list from their account at any time by clicking on View favorites. All of the products marked as a favorite will be shown on the page.
You can make your customers create an account, or have an account and be logged in to access your catalog. For example, this setting is useful if you're running a wholesale or members-only store.
To give access to your store catalog only to logged-in customers, you need to use the free app Required Login for Storefront Access.
To install the app:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to App Market.
- Find Required Login for Storefront Access app, then click Install.
- Follow further instructions.
After you install and enable the app, your customers will be prompted to sign in to see and buy your products.
How can my customers log in with passwords?
If it is critical that your customers should log into your store using passwords instead of login by link, you can contact our support team and they will check if this legacy login option can be enabled in your store.
Note that the login by sign-in link comes with a number of advantages (which are not available for the login with password):
- Customers don’t need to remember passwords.
- After an order is placed, the customer's account is created automatically for the email address used.
- You can see all the customers who placed orders in your store. To see them in your Ecwid admin, go to My sales → Customers page.
- A customer can see all the orders placed with their email address in their account.
- This is a more secure way of login than using a login/password. Since the login link is sent to the email address, only the owner of the email address is able to log into the account.