If you consider using Joomla as your site platform or already have a website created on this content management system, you can easily add an e-commerce store to your site and start selling online. All you need to do is create an Ecwid store and follow the below instructions to add it to your site. The store will embed seamlessly and will look like an integral part of your Joomla site.
Joomla offers two solutions to create your own website: you can use the downloadable version of Joomla CMS and host it yourself or use the hosted version of Joomla. Each option has its own advantages. To decide which solution suits you best, see a more detailed comparison of the two options.
You can add your Ecwid store to a website created both with the help of the downloadable version of Joomla CMS and with the hosted version of Joomla.
To add your Ecwid store to a site created on Joomla, follow the instructions:
To add your Ecwid store to a site created on the hosted version of Joomla, you will need to paste the store code to your site page. Sometimes the store code might get corrupted by the built-in Joomla editors and prevent your store from the correct display. To provide the store shows up on the site as it should disable the default Joomla editor before adding your store code.
To disable Joomla default editor:
- Go to System → Global Configuration → Default Editor.
- Set the Default Editor to None:
- Save the changes.
Now you are ready to add the store to your site.
To add Ecwid store to your Joomla site:
- Go to your Ecwid control panel → All Sales Channels → Custom website.
- Click Copy Code to Clipboard to get the integration code for your store:
- Create a new article on your website in Content → Articles → Add a new article. Then paste your Ecwid integration code into the article content. This article page will be your Ecwid store page:
- Save the changes.
To add your Ecwid store to a Joomla site:
- Download the Ecwid extension file.
- In your Joomla backend go to Extensions → Manage.
- Upload and install the extension using the Upload Package File section.
- Go to Components → Ecwid.
- Enter your Ecwid Store ID.
- Save the changes.
- Go to Menus → Main Menu to add the store page to your site menu.
- Click Add New Menu Item.
- Press the Select button next to the Menu Item Type option and Choose Ecwid → Product browser.
- Name your page and save the changes.
This is it — your store is added to the Joomla site. You can manage the store from your Ecwid store control panel: create products, run promotions, track sales, and more.
Apart from the store, you can enrich your site with additional functionality, like a store search, a category menu, or a shopping bag.
To add a shopping bag, a category menu, or a search box to the site, follow the steps below:
- Go to Ecwid control panel → All Sales Channels.
- Scroll down to Custom website and click Learn More.
- Scroll down to the Store extensions and choose what you would like to add a Category Navigation Menu, a Shopping Bag or a Product Search Box and click Add under the corresponding section:
- The integration code will be automatically copied to clipboard;
- In your Joomla administrator panel go to Extensions → Modules and add a new module;
- Choose Custom module:
- Paste the code you have copied to its contents;
- Specify the position of your module on the page, and save the changes. In the Menu Assignment tab, you can choose on what pages this module will appear.
Save the changes and it’s done. Check out how your updated website looks.
When you install the Ecwid extension in your Joomla administrator panel, the following related modules are added automatically to the list of available extensions. They represent the corresponding Ecwid widgets:
- Ecwid Categories Module: horizontal categories widget
- Ecwid Minicart Module: shopping bag widget
- Ecwid Search Module: search widget
Each of these modules is a pattern for creating your own modules which can be used for displaying Ecwid widgets on your site.
To add categories, a shopping bag, or a search box to your site:
- Go to Extensions → Modules in your Joomla administrator interface and click the New button.
- You will see the list of module types you can use.
- Choose the type you want (Ecwid Minicart Module, Ecwid Categories Module, Ecwid Search Module).
- After you select a type, the module settings page appears.
- Select pages and a position for the widgets in your site template. If you're configuring the Ecwid categories module, it will also let you choose the desired view (horizontal/vertical).
- Click Save.
That's it, the new module is published, which means you will see a category menu, a shopping bag, or a search box on your site.
In case the widget doesn't appear, check the following module settings:
- the status: it should be set as Published;
- the access: it should be set as Public;
- the position: you should select an area where the module will be displayed on your site;
- the menu assignment: if “No pages” is selected, the module will not be displayed.