Creating a multilingual site with WordPress and Ecwid
If you sell globally or in a country with multiple official languages, you can create a multilingual WordPress site and add a language switcher to it using one of the popular plugins. We recommend to use WPML or Polylang plugins for this purpose because Ecwid is compatible with them - their language switcher changes language not only for the site, but for your multilingual Ecwid store within it, too.
Here is how you can create a multilingual WordPress site using WPML and Ecwid plugins, for example:
- Download WPML plugin (it is paid) and install it on your WordPress site;
- Configure WPML: set your default language, pick additional languages and choose where the language switcher should appear on your site:
- Translate your site content by clicking on + next to Pages and adding the translated text to them:
Learn more about translating site content when using WMPL plugin with WordPress.
- Add your Ecwid store to a Page in all its language versions:
- Open a Page in your main site language and add your store to it using Ecwid plugin:
- Open the same Page in a different language version and add your Ecwid store to it, too:
- Enable additional languages in WordPress admin → Ecwid → Settings → General → Regional Settings → Store Languages so that labels of store forms and buttons are translated by Ecwid:
- Add translations of your catalog so that your product and category names and descriptions can be shown in additional language, too:
It’s all set! Your multilingual site is ready and your customers can now shop with you in their preferred language.
Offering your store in multiple languages
Changing store language
Adding Ecwid store to a WordPress site