Creating a multilingual site with Wordpress and Ecwid
If you sell globally or in a country with multiple official languages, you can create a multilingual Wordpress site and add a language switcher to it using one of the popular plugins. We recommend to use WPML or Polylang plugins for this purpose because Ecwid is compatible with them - their language switcher changes language not only for the site, but for your multilingual Ecwid store within it, too.
Here is how you can create a multilingual Wordpress site using WPML and Ecwid plugins, for example:
- Download WPML plugin (it is paid) and install it on your Wordpress site;
- Configure WPML: set your default language, pick additional languages and choose where the language switcher should appear on your site:
- Translate your site content by clicking on + next to Pages and adding the translated text to them:
- Add your Ecwid store to a Page in all its language versions:
- Open a Page in your main site language and add your store to it using Ecwid plugin:
- Open the same Page in a different language version and add your Ecwid store to it, too:
- Enable additional languages in Wordpress admin → Ecwid → Settings → General → Regional Settings → Store Languages so that labels of store forms and buttons are translated by Ecwid:
- Add translations of your catalog so that your product and category names and descriptions can be shown in additional language, too:
It’s all set! Your multilingual site is ready and your customers can now shop with you in their preferred language.