Buying shipping labels for the Netherlands
To ship an order, you need to buy and print a shipping label—an identification label that helps a carrier service to transport a package from you to your customer. Each label is unique and contains key information: the sender’s and recipient’s addresses, the weight and dimensions of the package, its contents, and the requested carrier service.
If your business is based in the Netherlands, you can buy and print shipping labels for PostNL domestic and international shipments from your Ecwid admin. Since the Netherlands is a part of the European union, all shipments within Europe will be considered domestic.
Rates for labels bought from your Ecwid admin. The cost of a shipping label is billed to you through your Ecwid account with the same payment method you use to pay for your Ecwid subscription. You can check your payment method on the My Profile → Billing and plans page.
To buy and print a shipping label:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to My sales → Orders.
- Select an order you want to buy a shipping label for.
- In the Shipping details section on the right-hand side, click Buy shipping label:
- Check the shipping address. You can change any of the addresses by clicking the Edit address.
- In the Package weight and size section, specify the weight of a package and its dimensions. Click Continue.
(This step is for international shipping. Skip it if you ship within the EU.)
Fill in the Customs Declaration: enter sender credentials, add a brief description of the goods, specify the Harmonized System code used to classify a product. If necessary, leave additional information (references, invoice, certificate, or license numbers). This information will be reviewed by customs to calculate the duties to be paid by a customer upon receiving. All required customs information will be included in the label, there is no need to download and print additional documents.
- Select a shipping service. Our reseller prices for shipping labels differ from the PostNL retail prices. Some services are discounted, and others are not.
- In the Printer settings section, select your printer type to print a shipping label of the appropriate size.
- On the right side, pay attention to the Mark order as shipped and notify the customer by email checkbox. If you select this option, the order status will automatically update to Shipped immediately after the shipping label is purchased, and the customer will receive an email with a tracking number. If you want to change the order status to Shipped manually after you’ve actually shipped the product, untick the checkbox.
- Click Buy Shipping Label. Once the purchase is complete, you will see the shipping label details and a tracking number.
- Click Print Shipping Label.
That’s it! You’ve purchased and printed a shipping label.
- Place the printed shipping label on the box with the order and affix it securely with tape. Try not to tape above the barcode as it could make it harder to scan at the post office.
- Drop off your package at a PostNL location nearby. Or if you have a Mijn PostNL account, book a pickup by PostNL pick-up service.
- Ship the order.
We recommend buying shipping labels from Ecwid admin to have a seamless experience with your order management. Still, if you ship not with PostNL but with other carriers like B2C Europe, Red Je Pakketje, DHL, DPD, or Homerr, you can buy shipping labels by using the Shiptimize app from the Ecwid App Market.
The Shiptimize app is free to use, but you have to be on one of Ecwid paid plans to install it from the Ecwid App Market.
To void a shipping label, don’t put it on a box and don’t get it scanned at a post office as it can’t be refunded at that point. Contact the Ecwid support team immediately after the purchase, and include the following details in your email:
- Your store ID (in the bottom left corner of your Ecwid admin).
- The order number with the shipping label you want to void.
The refund will be issued to the payment method that was charged for the voided shipping label. You can see it in your Ecwid admin, My Profile → Billing and plans.