Creating custom fields at checkout
Custom fields allow you to collect extra data like country-specific tax IDs, notes on how to fulfill orders or any other information from your customers at checkout. You can add as many custom fields as you want to the standard Ecwid one-page checkout.
The information that your customers submit via custom checkout fields will appear in the order details. It can also appear in invoices and/or in your store’s notifications if you wish. You can make filling out the fields mandatory or voluntary for your customers.
You can add the following custom field types to checkout:
- Text fields (single-line or paragraph)
- Radio buttons
- Date and time pickers
- Selection buttons
It’s up to you to choose which field type best suits the data that you want to collect. For example, you can use date and time pickers for calendars, text fields for delivery instructions or gift messages, and selection buttons for customer feedback surveys.
Example of a custom single-line text field
One-page checkout in Ecwid includes entering email address, shipping address, and pickup details, as well as choosing shipping methods, pickup methods, and payment options. You can add an unlimited amount of custom fields to any of the checkout steps except for the final “Thank you for your order” page.
To add a custom field to checkout:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Settings → General → Cart & Checkout.
- Scroll down to the Custom checkout fields block, then click Add Custom Fields. On the opened page, click + Add Field.
- Select the custom field type. Preview appears on the right:
- Click Next Step.
- Name the field to let customers know what it is about (e.g., “Your dimensions”) and add other field content according to its type. For fields with options, you can also mark the option that will be selected by default.
- Click Next Step.
- From the Select checkout step for field display dropdown, choose the checkout step where you want this custom field to appear.
- Enable the Required field toggle if you want customers to fill out the field/choose an option before they can proceed with checkout.
- By default, field data appears in the Payment details block of the order details. Click Set up field display after order placement to change field data position in the order details and enable the Show field in invoices and/or Show field in customer emails toggles if you want.
- Click Create and Display at Checkout to publish the field, or click Create Without Display to finish creating the field without making it available for customers at checkout. You can enable or disable fields later.
That’s it! You’ve added a custom field to your store.
You can enable, disable, or permanently delete custom fields that you have in your store. If you disable a field, it will no longer be displayed at checkout. You can enable the field back when you need it.
To manage custom fields:
- Go to Settings → General → Cart & Checkout → Custom checkout fields, then click Add Custom Fields. On the opened page, you will see a list of custom fields that you’ve created.
- To enable or disable a specific field at checkout, switch the toggle next to it:
- To delete the field completely, click Actions → Delete → Yes.
You can always access the data that customers submit via custom checkout fields in the order details in your store admin. By default, custom field data appears in the payment details block of the order details unless you choose to place it in the order comments, customer details, or shipping/pickup blocks when creating the field.
To access custom field data in the order details:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to My Sales → Orders.
- Click on the order to open it.
- Find field data in the corresponding order details block: