Connecting GoDaddy domain to Ecwid Instant Site
Once connected, your Ecwid Instant site will open at your domain name, via secure HTTPS connection. You don’t need to separately purchase an SSL certificate as Ecwid provides free SSL for Instant Site users. Visit your GoDaddy account to manage all the domain settings and to pay for the domain name, or renew it.
To link your domain with your Ecwid Instant Site, you should first specify your custom domain name in your Ecwid admin.
To specify a domain name:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Website (or to Overview → Manage Instant Site).
- In the Domain name and site address block, click Change Address.
- In the pop-up window that you’ll see enter your custom domain in the Use your own domain name field (you should enter your root domain, i.e. without www part):
- Copy the Ecwid’s IP-address that is offered to you there (126.96.36.199, or 188.8.131.52, or 184.108.40.206) as you will need it later to set up the domain in the GoDaddy account:
- Click Save.
To finish linking your Ecwid Instant Site with your domain, you should make changes in your domain settings and point the domain to your Ecwid site. For that, you need to add an A record and a CNAME record in your domain host account.
To point the domain to your Ecwid site:
- Log into your GoDaddy account and go to My Products page.
- In the Domains section, find the domain you want to connect your Ecwid store to and click on it. Then click Manage DNS.
For mobile users: Click on the hamburger menu in the upper left corner to get to the Domain section, then tap Manage DNS.
- In the DNS Records section, click the pencil icon next to the A record. If you don’t see the A row, click Add and select A from the drop-down menu.
If your domain name already has other A records for '@', please delete them. The domain name will work with your store only when there is one A record for the root domain — the one pointing to Ecwid’s IP address. In case extra A records can't be removed, consider deleting domain forwarding or contact GoDaddy support.
- Enter the details for your A record:
- Host: The host name the A record links to. Enter @ to point directly to your domain name.
- Points to: The IP address you are setting as the destination for the host. Paste the IP address that you previously copied from your Ecwid admin.
- TTL: How long the server should cache information. The default setting is 1 hour.
- Save the changes:
- To make your Instant Site available with “www” as well (i.e. www.yourdomain.com), make sure you have a CNAME record with the following values: Name — www, Value — @:
The @ sign stands for your main domain. When a customer will type “www.yourdomain.com”, they will be redirected to “yourdomain.com”.
The store domain is set up! Now you should give time for changes to apply. It may take up to 48 hours for DNS settings to propagate throughout the internet. After this time passes, your Ecwid store will open at your own domain name via secure HTTPS connection.