Connecting 123-Reg.co.uk domain to Instant Site
Once connected, your Ecwid Instant site will open at your domain name, via secure HTTPS connection. You don’t need to separately purchase an SSL certificate as Ecwid provides free SSL for Instant Site users. Visit your 123-Reg account to manage all the domain settings and to pay for the domain name, or renew it.
To link your domain with your Ecwid Instant Site, you should first specify your custom domain name in your Ecwid admin.
To specify a domain name:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Website (or to Overview → Manage Instant Site).
- In the Domain name and site address block, click Change Address.
- In the pop-up window that you’ll see enter your custom domain in the Use your own domain name field (you should enter your root domain, i.e. without www part).
- Copy the IP address that appears under the “Use your own domain name“ field (it’s different for every Ecwid store). You will need this IP later to set up the domain in your 123-Reg account:
5. Click Save.
To finish linking your Ecwid Instant Site with your domain, you should make changes in your domain settings and point the domain to your Ecwid site. For that, you need to add an A record and a CNAME record in your domain host account.
To point the domain to your Ecwid site:
- Log into your 123-Reg control panel.
- In the Domain names section, select your domain and click Manage:
- Click Manage DNS:
- Click the Advanced DNS tab. This will display all current DNS records associated with the domain name.
- In the Add section, enter the following details:
- Hostname: @
- Type: A
- Destination IPv4 address: enter the IP address copied from your Ecwid admin.
- Click Add to save this A record.
- Remove other A records for your root domain (@) if you have any.
- In the Add new entry section, add the following details for the second record:
- Hostname: www
- Type: CNAME
- Destination CNAME: enter your root domain (e.g. marysonline.com).
- Click Add to save this CNAME record.
That’s it, you’ve connected your 123-Reg domain to your Instant Site — both DNS records have been added:
Now you should wait a bit till the DNS changes propagate. Usually it takes no longer than two hours, but in some cases you might need to wait 24-48 hours till the new DNS records become active. After that, your Instant Site will be available at your own domain when customers enter the corresponding URL in their browser.