It’s possible to make your Ecwid Instant Site available via a custom domain. Having your own domain makes your business look more professional and helps to get better placement in search engine results.
If you already bought a domain name from NameCheap, you can connect to your Ecwid store in two steps:
- Specify the domain name in your Ecwid control panel.
- Point your NameCheap domain name to your Ecwid site in the NameCheap account.
After that, your store will open at your domain name via a secure HTTPS connection. Follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Setting up the domain in the Ecwid control panel
To specify your domain name in your Ecwid control panel:
- From your Ecwid admin, go to Website.
- Find the “Instant Site address” section and click Change URL.
- In the appeared pop-up, put your domain name in the “Use your own domain name“ field:
- Click Save.
- Place the mouse cursor in the “Use your own domain name“ field and copy the IP address that will appear in the pop-up — that maybe either 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, or 188.8.131.52. You will need this IP later to set up the domain in the NameCheap account:
Setting up the domain in the NameCheap account
To point your NameCheap domain name to your Ecwid site:
- Log in to your Namecheap account.
- Navigate to Domain List in the sidebar menu:
- Click Manage next to your domain name:
- On the Domain Details page, click Advanced DNS:
- Under Actions, click Add new record:
- Select A Record from a dropdown menu that appears:
- In the IP Address text box, enter the IP address that you previously copied from your Ecwid control panel (either 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, or 18.104.22.168):
- Click the check icon on the far right of the A Record:
To make the Instant site available at your domain, this must be the only A Record for your domain. If you have other A Records in the DNS settings for this domain, please delete them by clicking a trash bin icon next to the record.
- Continue in the Advanced DNS settings and add a CNAME Record for your domain to make your site available with the www prefix. Click Add new record and select CNAME Record.
- Enter www as a Host value:
- Enter the domain name you have bought, i.e. myecwidstore.com:
- Click the check icon on the far right of the CNAME Record.
- Delete the default CNAME record pointing at the NameCheap parking page (parkingpage.namecheap.com) by clicking the trash bin icon next to it:
- As a result, your DNS records should look like this: